Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Is Death Scary?

 


One topic which is interesting to discuss in class -- when there is a chance for random topics -- is this: death is scary.

 

I often find students who agree with this statement: "death is scary". I figure out that most of them who agree with this are those who adhere with Islam as their religion. As someone who used to study Islam teachings since I started going to elementary school until I reached the age of 35 when I started learning about feminism, I completely understand why. Many people are afraid of death because of the threat of torture in hell when they lack of good deeds when living on this Earth. And as far as I know, most people feel not ready to die because of lacking these deeds.

 

Many students mention exactly like what I have in mind.

 

I have written in my previous writings that my transformation from a (secular) Muslim to be agnostic (I was also somewhat influenced by Buddhism's teaching) made me view death as no longer an entrance to either hell or heaven. I believe in hell or heaven no more. I may still believe in the existence God (you may see me as either Agnostic or Deist then) but of course I view God differently from what most Muslim people do. Death is only someone's experience to move from one dimension of life to another dimension of life.

 

When hearing my explanation above, many students of mine were in awe. I could see from their facial expression. "How could Ms. Nana easily say that?" Then they thought that I never know Islam teaching. :)

 

One week ago, I happened to talk about this topic with a new student of mine. Surprisingly, she shared similar view with me: she is not scared of death. One thing she is worried is if her death will make people close to her feel sad. This really made two of us! Isn't it very interesting? Nevertheless, there is another more painful thing related to death though, for me: if someone very dear to me has to move to another dimension when I am still alive.

 

PT56 16.30 23 July 2024

 

P.S.:

 

The phrase "that makes two of us" is an idiomatic expression used to indicate agreement with someone else's statement or feeling

 

No comments: