Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2024

Racial Discrimination

 


It is the same old story, I presume, although perhaps we can say that nowadays the situation is getting better -- fairer -- for all races: the Native American, the African American, the Chinese, etc.

 

Just recently I have watched 2 short clips in social medias about the judgmental behavior towards the Native American and the African American. It is clearly seen that the hostile judgment was triggered by different skins. One short clip described how a store manager accused one (prospective) customer to do shoplifting, only because she was Native American.

 

This reminded me of one ex-student of mine. 17 years ago he migrated to the US to get a better living. I once asked him how he did that. He didn't want to explain about it. He just said, "It is very hard to live here, Miss. I don't think you can do this." while in fact I just wanted to know his experience, not to follow his path. Ha ha … Nevertheless, he made it! I mean, until now he still lives there. A year ago he married one girl from Indonesia, then he brought her to live with him in the US, instead of him going back home to Indonesia.

 

However, watching those short clips describing racial discrimination in the US, I came to think about him. His life must be very hard. The income he can get is worth his struggle there, I suppose.

 

PT56 11.24 30/5/2024

 

No comments: