Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Other Half

 

the pic was taken from here

Intellectual gap is the main 'culprit' of the divorce between ex and me. You can condemn me anything, I don't mind at all, lol.

 

Based on this thing, I told my only daughter to focus on being compatible when looking for a life partner, with whom she can talk about anything with ease. Well, of course it is somewhat impossible to find someone who is 100% compatible with us, but, at least we can try our best to get someone who has the most 'common ground'.

 


*******

 

Honestly, as an English teacher, I heard this phrase -- other half -- for the first time only around 15 years ago, from one very good friend. He called his wife as 'my other half'. Better late than never, don't you think? At that time, I was of opinion that the phrase was a romantic one, instead of just use the common word "my wife". I didn't come to think where the term came from.

 

Until out of the blue I met someone with whom I share many things in common, things that oftentimes make both of us wonder, how come we have the same way of thinking, when viewing things? And, just like that, suddenly the phrase 'other half' came to my mind, and it made me think,

 

 

"Oh, is it why the phrase 'other half' is suitable to describe a couple? Because many common things unite them? 

 

 When writing this post, I didn't come to the phrase 'other half'. However, when starting writing this post, I read the article I entitled "why getting married". How many people who are married in fact are really 'other half' of their partner? How many of them really find their life partner compatible before they decide to marry him/her? I am of opinion that more people get married due to social pressure (perhaps this is only in Indonesia?) instead of awareness that the love they have for their partner comes from how compatible they are. If so, isn't it predictable that unwanted things will happen in their marriage?


 

Just my two cents.

Semarang, 29 March 2022

No comments: