Search This Blog

Friday, July 17, 2009

The Gender Bias in Statutory Rape

I just read a very intriguing article on this link:

http://www.blogher.com/gender-bias-statutory-rape#comments

When it is a very (annoying and accepted) 'accident' to read an (adult) male raped a (child or teenage) female, I must say that it is very relieving for me (LOL) to know that in fact there is on the way around case, although of course it would be (perhaps) only one case among a thousand (or million) cases?

It does not mean that it is okay for me to rape (male) children or teenagers. A rape is a rape, a crime. However, to tell the whole world that women can also do what men do, in this case, is what I meant to say.

Anyway, I am wondering if the male children raped will undergo similar trauma just like many female children have undergone?

SPB 14.51 170709

4 comments:

magnoliaamber said...

I think any sexual abuse will trauma to either boy or girl, regardless of gender.

However, I think it will apply more if the victim has been hurt or suffered hurtful physical experience, as some children might not understand very well that they are abused...

While I was thinking of applying castration as punishment for a man that has raped a girl/woman, plus social service as a cleaner or whatever (I do not believe much in the effectiveness of jail sentence), I also wonder what, then, should be the appropriate punishment for a woman raper?

Should or should we punish her as (I assume) woman tends to use persuasion instead of physical abuse...

I support your feminism spirit but your recent post has been rather irritating...yet, as what you have stated...it's a bit ironic.

triesti said...

I happen to know this guy who was molested by his elementery school teacher during a scout camp in jakarta. He said it marked him.

Like u said, a rape is a rape. Its a violation of (in this case) trust and sexuality of the victim.

Unknown said...

i heard that many males are scarred by such abuse, and it can be doubley hard for them, because society tells them they should be 'proud' or whatnot...

Nana Podungge said...

Magnolia, I am sorry if this post irritated you. But as I wrote, a rape is a rape. It is still a crime. Thank you for your comment.

Triesti, I agree that violence, no matter it is done to men or women, it will hurt them deeply.

John, yeah you are absolutely right. But have you ever heard that some people also say similar thing? a woman is supposed to feel sort of proud too coz when it happens, it shows that she is attractive? Ridiculuous, I know. ...